The History of Eaton Federal
The Bank was chartered in 1937 in Charlotte, Michigan as Charlotte Federal Savings and Loan Association, by two local businessmen. Consistent with its thrift charter, the purpose of the Bank was to provide local families a safe place to invest their savings and to finance the purchase or construction of a home. Over the years, the Bank has remained true to that mission while expanding its locations, products and services to better serve individuals and small businesses throughout mid-Michigan. Recently, emphasis has been placed on commercial banking in order to enhance the traditional business lines of savings and mortgage lending. The Bank now operates five locations and has changed its name to Eaton Federal Savings Bank to reflect its commitment to all of Eaton County and surrounding communities.
Throughout its history, Eaton Federal has remained true to its community bank roots. The Bank was founded as a mutual association, owned by its customers, and retains that ownership structure to this day. Eaton Federal, therefore, cannot be converted to stock, bought by or merged with another institution without the consent of its customers and is not subject to the whims or pressures of stockholders or the financial markets. The Bank is run by a Board of Directors comprised of local business persons and community leaders who continuously stress the principals that have allowed Eaton Federal to become the premier bank in its market: honesty and integrity, outstanding service, community involvement, meeting the needs of its customers and always keeping the customer’s best interest in mind.